[Adonthell-general] Fw: Some feedback regarding Waste's Edge

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Fw: Some feedback regarding Waste's Edge
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:20:44 +0100

Got this that morning.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:52:48 +0100
From: Christoph Reichenbach
To: address@hidden
Subject: Some feedback regarding Waste's Edge

Hi,

I finally got around to testing your 0.3 release, and I thought I'd get
back to you to congratulate-- I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking
forward to future releases (while I'd like to contribute, I simpy don't
have the time to do so). Here are a couple of things I stumbled over
which I thought I should point out even though they may have been fixed
(or no longer apply to 0.4):

- On PPC, the game reacted to keyboard input appropriately, except for
input fields, where it did not insert the appropriate character. This
may be caused by chars being unsigned on PPC by default (convention of C
compilers on that platform).

- On Alpha, the game segfaulted (or maybe it was a floating point
exception, I'm not sure and won't be able to check until may) right
after the initial conversation. Usual problems on Alpha are unaligned
accesses, assumptions of sizeof(void *) == sizeof(int) == sizeof(long),
or C++ code being compiled with pre-3.x gcc.

- During the intro, the narrative switches from first to third person
rather suddenly. I found this somewhat confusing.

- When selecting answers from text boxes, it is often not possible to
scroll up sufficiently far to re-read the statement you're replying to
(I'd suggest separate boxes if you want to continue using the current
approach to dialogues)

(I was running Debian for Alpha/PPC, using the official packages for
'sid'.)

Thanks again!

llap,
 Christoph