Re: [Adonthell-general] Moved to SDL 1.3 ?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Moved to SDL 1.3 ?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:00:19 +0100

2012/1/3 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

Hi Shirish!

>> Not sure. Looks like a server misconfiguration. Contacted
>> linuxgames.com staff about the issue.

Still ongoing. Got a first reply about the issue just yesterday, so
may take a while to resolve ...

> Was trying to see if something new has come, it seems you have moved
> to sdl 1.3 .

Support for SDL 1.3 has been available for a long time [1]. The last
change just made sure that we do not use the 1.2 compatibility API.
Nonetheless, Adonthell runs fine with SDL 1.2 as well, which leads to:

> What is/was interesting were these few lines :-
>
> checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
> checking for SDL - version >= 1.3.0...
[...]

We prefer SDL 1.3 (as that allows hardware accelerated rendering), so
we try to find it first. If that fails, we fall back to SDL 1.2 (which
means software rendering only).

On recent hardware, software rendering provides a decent framerate
[2], but on old hardware, the SDL 1.3 backend beats the SDL 1.2
backend by far [3]. Provided a proper GPU is present. With lousy
chipset graphics, it's probably better to stick with SDL 1.2.

Kai

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2009-02/msg00018.html
[2] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2011-02/msg00008.html
[3] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2011-02/msg00013.html