akfquiz-users

[AKFQuiz-users] Re: [Zero-install-devel] Intro video

From: Thomas Leonard
Subject: [AKFQuiz-users] Re: [Zero-install-devel] Intro video
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:39:01 +0000

> Am Thursday, dem 14. Feb 2008 schrieb Thomas Leonard:
>

> [Flash-Video on 0install homepage]
>  > Works fine here (Ubuntu).
>
>  I've downloaded Ubuntu to test it.
>  No, it doesn't run out of the box with Ubuntu.
>  Firefox says, that it needs plugins.
>
>  To my surprise it offered gnash as alternative on Ubuntu, but still
>  the Adobe Flash player is the first in this list.

Zero Install is based on the idea of downloading things on demand on a
per-user basis, so I don't think we can complain about that (except
that it wants to install the plugin as root).

>  > If you want to go the pure free software route, Gnash
>  > claims to play youtube videos:
>
> I've tried it, but with no success so far.

I just tried it in VirtualBox using the current Ubuntu/Hardy and Gnash
worked fine (audio and video). However, it didn't work on Gutsy.

>  But the problem is not, that I want to watch it, the problem
>  is something different: The problem is that I don't want to promote
>  nonfree software. Since I offer zeroinstall feeds on my website,
>  including links to your homepage, when someone clicks on these links,
>  he is asked to install nonfree software. So indirectly I lead them to
>  install nonfree software, which I can't do with a clear conscience.

The site doesn't link to any particular software. Any suggestions that
you see are coming from your browser and/or distribution.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard               http://rox.sourceforge.net