akfquiz-users

[AKFQuiz-users] I'm still around

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: [AKFQuiz-users] I'm still around
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:00:42 +0100

Dear AKFQuiz users,

I haven't written anything here for a long time.
There are obviously still some users on this mailing list.
So I want to let you know, that I am still around and listening.
So, if you have any questions, just ask.
Of course you could also use this mailing list to talk to each other
about AKFQuiz, even when I'm not around...

I admit that I haven't worked on AKFQuiz for a long time. Currently I'm
working on other projects, mainly AKFAvatar.
http://akfavatar.nongnu.org/

Actually the idea for AKFAvatar came from a discussion about AKFQuiz a
long time ago. Someone said he was working on a program, which is also
asking questions, but it had no graphical interface. So he asked me, if
it was possible to use AKFQuiz for that. Well, he didn't want to show
me his code - I even didn't know, what programming language he was
using. So I just could say that AKFQuiz is not usable as a general
purpose frontend for other programs.

Well, that discussion was long time ago. But the idea of making a general
purpose frontend for other programs kept lingering in my mind. And when
I was experimenting with another project (which I have never published),
I thought, now I would need a simple graphical frontend myself...
So I started to program AKFAvatar, where an image of an avatar appears
on the screen and tells things written in a balloon.
First it was just a library, which you can use for C and C++ programs,
then I made a language binding for FreePascal and GNU-Pascal. Then I
wrote a textfile-viewer, then a viewer for manpages... Then I thought,
it should be a general purpose frontend, so it should be able to run
general programs. So I even implemented a full terminal-emulator that
can run any textconsole program. That doesn't work on Windows, but
there aren't many textconsole programs for Windows anyway. ;-)

Well the software can also be used for simple demos. The last thing I
did, was making a nice demo of the story Max and Moritz by Wilhelm
Busch. Please have a look at that! It comes with all the images.
I could use this text, because the copyright on the text and the images
have expired. I also found an English translation, where the Copyright
has also expired. The German version even comes with a speech recording
for the whole text. For the English version I'm still searching for a
speaker (I have a strong accent).

Well, I digress ;-)
I just wanted to encourage you to use this mailing list for discussions
about AKFQuiz...

--
AKFoerster