aps-devel

Re: [aps-devel] Kitten

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: [aps-devel] Kitten
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:24:27 +0100

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:37:11PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> There is nothing on the archives that explains that is "Kitten" (despite the
> cute feline I have at home).  Can somene post a few lines please, for the
> double benefit of me and future newcomers?

The idea is from Richard M. Stallman, the name was invented by me.

The `kitten' translator conkittenates files, which is to say it does
something similar like the `cat' program.  However, `kitten' is not
only for output purposes; it can be used for writing back to the
backend files as well, also only in an imperfect way, of course (and
yes, I do have a concrete plan for this).

For example, kitten could sit at /etc/inetd.conf (aka
/packages/inetd/current/etc/inetd.conf) and conkittenate
/packages/telnet/current/etc/inetd.conf and all the other inetd.conf
files from installed packages.  This feature is very nice for many
configuration files.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang