Need Language Info

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Need Language Info
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:13:25 -0500

As your probably know I am about to undertake Aspell multi language
support however I need your help as I know little to nothing about other
languages.  So I would really appreciate it if people could fill me in
for doing the following:

1) Reading over http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/aspell/international/ and
letting me know I am overlooking anything.

2) Telling me about the languages you know.  To avoid a lot of people
sending me duplicate information I ask that you post the message to the
Aspell mailing list with the subject "Information on X language".  In
particular I am looking for

a) What 8-bit character sets are typically used for your language and
any
shortcomings those character sets may have.

b) What letters are vowels in your language

c) What additional charters can appear in a word in your language and
where they can appear such as the "-" in French or the "'" in English.

d) Additional considerations that should be taken into account for spell
checking your language such as allowing run together words.

f) Links to word lists for you language and a critique of how good you
think they are.

g) Any LGPL or weaker code for converting words in your language to
there sound like or phoneme equivalent. Good soundlike code will allow
similar sounding words to have the same mapping such as dog and dig.
Good phoneme code will map a word into how it really sounds.

Thanks in advance.  The more people I have telling me about their
language the better I can make Aspell support it.  I really want to get
things right from the start so that I don't have to redesign something
in the future.

--
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden