Re: Questions about alternative dicts..

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: Questions about alternative dicts..
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:57:02 -0500

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> > Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > > * Should I be packaging each alternative dictionary in each available size
> > > into a package of its own?  I mean should I have seperate packages for
> > > british_small, british_medium, british_large, ..., american_small etc.?
> > > What exactly is the difference between the various sizes?  Is it speed or
> > > size?
> > The diffrence is size.  This dictinaris are almost identical to the
> > ispell dictionaries.  From ispell's README file:
>
> I have decided to package the medium sized alt dictionaries for each
> language.  It seems the person who packaged ispell for Debian did the same.
>
> And now for another question.  What is aspell-0.27/data/english.wl ?  Is it
> the same as aspell-dicts-0.10/<something> ?

Yes medium american.  Sorry that I did not make the clear.

> The development of aspell and
> aspell-dicts seem to unsynchronized.  Would I be ending up with any
> problems if I build a aspell.deb package which does not have a
> /usr/lib/aspell/ ?  Basically my aspell.deb package would depend on a
> virtual package called aspell-dictionary.  aspell-english, aspell-american
> and aspell-altamer would all be packages that provide the aspell-dictionary
> virtual package.

It might as the format of the compiled, device dependent, dictionary
might change between version.  I would give aspell-dicts a version
number of 1 and then increment it whenever the format of the aspell
dictionary changes.  Be careful though as your packaging version number
will not nessary match the version of aspell-dicts.  I could for example
change the format of the compiled dictionary but not update aspell-dicts
as the package will still work once you recompile the dicts.

If I lost you please let me know.

Also please inform me when you update your debian package as I have a
link to it from my home page.
--
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden