[aspell] Aspell compiled dicts are Machine Dependent

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell] Aspell compiled dicts are Machine Dependent
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:20:50 -0400 (EDT)

It has become extremity obvious that I should of stated this explicitly in
that manual:

   Aspell Compiled dicts are Machine Dependent

There are dependent on endian order, and the page size for the machine
because they are mmaped in.  Please do not distribute the compiled
dictionaries unless you are only distributing them for a particular
platform such as you would a binary.

There is a reason they are in lib/ and not share/.

I will gladly accept a patch to make them machine independent providing
that it doesn't affect performance more than 5-10% but until than:

   Aspell compiled dicts are Machine Dependent

Just like Ispell compiled dictionaries are.

--
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden