[aspell] Affix or something else

From: Togan Muftuoglu
Subject: [aspell] Affix or something else
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:23:20 +0200

Now this is worrying me and there has to be a solution where I am unable
to find with aspell.

Here is my problem from the basic turkish spellinng word list (taken
from the Turkish Language Commitee sources) which had aproximately
50.000 words. With an awk program I have created the plurals and plural
possesives from those 50.000 words and now I have 1 157 017 (yes over
one million) without even creating the dictionary for aspell it is
already 17 MB.

Now when I do the same thing for verb conjugation of various tenses,
adjectives adverbs  I think the number of words will be more then
20.000.000 and most probably will not cover every word in the language.

I have started to think defining words should not be the proper way of
checking spelling if the language is in the finite state (like Turkish).
If there is some kind of morphology algorithm working in the spelling
process then it could be a better solution then defining words in a
wordlist like I am doing now with Turkish.

Could some one please show me where the light is ?

--
Togan Muftuoglu