Re: [aspell-user] Status of run-together support

From: Marino Miculan
Subject: Re: [aspell-user] Status of run-together support
Date: Tue Oct 16 06:31:17 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
> > The thing is, all spell checker software I've tried leaves a lot to be
> > desired in the area of compounds. Allowing multiple words to be written as
> > one is quite common, but in some languages, like German and Norwegian,
> > compound words not only *can* be run-together, but they also *should* be.
> > One of the most common mistakes in modern usage is to split up words that
> > should be written together, and I attribute this partly to the fact that
> > no spell checker will detect it. It would be *really* great if Aspell
> > could.
>
> Aspell currently does not have the ability to look at more than one word at
> a time.  (A word as far as Aspell is concerned is a string of valid
> characters that can appear in a word.)   Aspell is undergoing a major
> rewrite right now.  After that is done support for considering more than
> one word at a time is one of the things I would like to add.  After that
> it would be very easy to add support for what you are talking about.

That's sounds good, expecially for languages where run-together words are
usually tied by spaces, and not by hyphens (like italian).  In fact, for
these languages suggestions containing hyphens are wrong, in most cases.
It would be really nice if there were the possibility to set the "glue"
character (hypen or null for english, space for italian, etc.), e.g. by
means of a command-line option.

-m.

--
   Marino Miculan    - Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
Universita` di Udine - via delle Scienze 206 - 33100 Udine - Italy