Re: [Aspell-user] Relationship between nb, nn and no dictionaries

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Relationship between nb, nn and no dictionaries
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 05:00:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Torstein Sunde wrote:

> I've noticed that the old "no" dictionaries have been put in the same
> directory as the "nn" (Norwegian "Nynorsk") dictionary:
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/nn/
> That's a mistake.  The old "no" dictionary is actually Norwegian
> "Bokmål", and should thus be put under
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/nb/
> and the symlink at
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/no/
> should point to nb instead of nn.

UGH!  Sorry about this mess.  Please have a look at:

  http://aspell.net/aspell-nb-0.50.1-0.tar.bz2
  http://aspell.net/aspell-nn-0.50.1-1.tar.bz2

And make sure everything is okay.

I will then:
  rm no
  mv nn/aspell-no-*.tar.bz2 nb/
  ln -s nb no
  rm nb/aspell-nb-0.50-0.tar.bz2
  (add) aspell-nb-0.50.1-0.tar.bz2
  rm nn/aspell-nn-0.50.1-0.tar.bz2
  (add) nn/aspell-nn-0.50.1-1.tar.bz2

The new alias are:
  nb: no norsk bokmal bokmål
  nn: nynorsk

The "norsk" alias is there for ispell compatibility.

> For completeness, country suffixes should also be available:
>   nb =nb_NO, and nn = nn_NO
> Or are those suffixes only used for languages that are used in more than
> one country?  Unlike English, we have two variants in only one country,
> instead of one variant for each country (en_US, en_GB, en_CA, en_AU...).

That is unneeded Aspell if Aspell can't find a dictionary with the county
code it will look with one without.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org