[Aspell-user] New User Help

From: Chris Young
Subject: [Aspell-user] New User Help
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:53:36 -0400

I am new to Aspell.

I have been asked to write a spell check/suggestion tool for a website
search page (similar to what Google does when you misspell a search
term).

I am using PHP which has some functions for aspell.

I have found that the main dictionary installed on my server returns too
many matches for the types of misspelled words I will be dealing with.
This search function is for a product database. I would prefer to create
a dictionary file from words in the product database.

So far I have successfully setup a personal word list and added to it,
but that doesn't prevent the master dictionary from returning
suggestions.

I am running:

International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell .33.7.1 alpha)

I tried the following

aspell --lang=en create master ./en_US-custom.multi < wordlist

but got the following error message:

/usr/share/aspell/en.dat: The required field "name" is missing.

I'm not sure what that means.

Can I create my own custom dictionary? Is there a better way to go about
this? Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Chris Young

Synergy Point