[Aspell-user] Possible patch to make Emacs' Ispell minor mode work with

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: [Aspell-user] Possible patch to make Emacs' Ispell minor mode work with Aspell 0.60
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:52:45 -0700 (PDT)

I noticed this in the list of "Things that will be
done by Aspell 0.60":

* Enhance ispell.el so that it will work better with
the new Aspell. [In Progress]

I hope the attached patch will help move that item
from the TODO list to the list of stuff already done.

I've attached a compressed diff that will apply
cleanly against the Ispell.el 3.7 beta dated 22 Sept
2003, available from
<http://www.kdstevens.com/~stevens/ispell-page.html>.
I've also sent the same patch to the Ispell.el
maintainer. If need be, it should not be hard to
backport it to Ispell.el 3.6, although as far as I can
tell, what made Ispell.el 3.7 a "beta" was that it
used a couple functions that were defined in the
Ispell.el maintainer's setup, but not by all Emacs
users, and those problems are fixed by this patch. The
features of the patch:

* If the "ispell" used by Emacs is really a version of
Aspell 0.50 or greater, then by default the encoding
to pass strings to and from the Ispell process is
whatever encoding Emacs uses to display the file being
spell checked. I only enabled this for Aspell because
I can pipe to Aspell a command to tell it what
encoding to use, but I can't do the same with the real
Ispell. UTF-8 support is only available for Aspell
0.60 or better, and currently UTF-8 support only works
on pre-release snapshots of Aspell 0.60 patched to fix
the bug where Aspell reports character offset in bytes
rather than characters. The patch is available from
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=936928&group_id=245&atid=100245
and applies cleanly to the April 16 snapshot of Aspell
<ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/aspell-0.60-20040416.tar.gz>.
I've tried to made sure that the encoding used by
Emacs and Aspell stays in sync. This feature can be
turned off by setting ispell-auto-detect-encoding to
nil.

* By default the casechars, non-casechars, and
otherchars are determined from the encoding returned
by ispell-get-coding-system. I tried so set things up
so that foreign letters (i.e. accented characters)
would not be mistaken for word separators by the
ispell-word function or Flyspell. This feature can be
turned off by setting ispell-auto-detect-casechars to
nil.