[Aspell-user] Newbie can't get aspell to work in Debian

From: box191
Subject: [Aspell-user] Newbie can't get aspell to work in Debian
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:51:26 -0500

I use aspell in Mandrake 10, no problems, works fine.

No matter what I do, I can't get aspell to work in Debian
stable.

I installed these (several times) from deb packages:

aspell 0.50.5-2
aspell-bin 0.50.5-2
aspell-en 0.51.5-2
libaspell15 0.50.5-2

In KDE Control Center I have these settings:

Dictionary: ASpell Default
Encoding: US-ASCII
Client: Aspell

When I try to use the spell checker in KMail, I get this:

        Ispell/Aspell could not be started.
        Please make sure you have Ispell or
        Aspell properly configured and in
        your PATH.

In KWord, nothing happens when I try to use the
spellchecker.

No doubt this problem has a simple solution, but I
can't see it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dick