[Aspell-user] Creating a simple personal dictionary with a list of prope

From: Andy Ozment
Subject: [Aspell-user] Creating a simple personal dictionary with a list of proper nouns
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:15:44 +0100

I'd like to create a simple personal dictionary that contains some
acronyms and proper nouns that I frequently use.

Using the online manual, I have done the following:

$ export ASPELL_CONF="personal ~/pers-dict"
$ aspell --lang=en_GB create personal ~/pers-dict < mywordlist
$ aspell dump config | grep personal
# home-dir descrip: location for personal files
# per-conf descrip: personal configuration file
# personal descrip: personal word list file name
# personal default: .aspell.<lang>.pws
# personal current: ~/pers-dict
personal        ~/pers-dict

So it appears that all is well. However, the problems arise (I think)
from "mywordlist".

The online manual describes the form of word lists:
"The replacement word list has each replacement pair on its own line in
the following format

    misspelled_word correction"

Well and good. But my words don't have misspellings. They are simply
proper nouns that should be ignored by aspell. Let us say that one of
those proper nouns is Hackman (as in Gene Hackman). I have tried three
different formats of word list.

The first format simply listed the correct word:
Hackman

The second format listed the word twice:
Hackman Hackman

The third format listed some false misspelling of the word, followed by
its correct spelling:
Hakman Hackman

None of these formats seem to work. Both in interactive mode (aspell -c
filename) and "list mode" (aspell -l filename), Hackman is flagged as
misspelled.

What am I doing wrong? Is there no easy way to add these words?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Andy Ozment