Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell LGPL license

From: Tierra
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell LGPL license
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:17:23 -0600

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Mohammad Samarah wrote:
>
> > Does Aspell offer an LGPL style license so that it can be embedded in a
> > commercial application? Are the dictionaries licensed differently than the
> > core engine?
>
> Aspell in under the LGPL as it clearly says in the manual.
>
> Each dictionary is under its own copyright.  The English dictionary is
> under a much weaker copyright than the LGPL.  Some others or LGPL while
> many are GPL.  I do not control the copyright of the dictionaries and
> accept anything which meats the FSF definition of "free".

I'm still a little confused... from what I understand at this point, I
can link to Aspell using a DLL or SO (and will be using both methods
at some point) with a commercial application, but I'm still confused
about the dictionary. If you don't own the copyrights, who does? Maybe
I'm confusing dictionaries with word lists or something I don't
completely understand. I really have no idea how Aspell works, or how
the word lists and/or dictionaries work.

What I'm getting at, is can I use Aspell with English dictionary in a
proprietary work? If I can, what notices (copyright and otherwise),
EULAs, and source do I have to include?

Bryan Petty