[Aspell-user] Adding hyphenated words to private dictionaries

From: Art Smoot
Subject: [Aspell-user] Adding hyphenated words to private dictionaries
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:29:36 -0700

I've got an application where I'm successfully using Aspell via the
perl module Text::Aspell.   It is used checking search terms into
a large legal database.  I've successfully added a large collection of
additional legal terms to a private dictionary and it's working very
well.

My problem is that I have a set of legal terms with hyphens in them, e.g.
non-binding, non-disclosure, co-counsel, s-corporation, that I want
to also add to this private dictionary. Using Aspell 0.60.2 I get:

aspell --lang=en create master aspell.dictionary < aspell-new-words
Warning: The word "s-corporation" is invalid. The character '-' (U+2D) may not
appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
Warning: The word "pro-temp" is invalid. The character '-' (U+2D) may not
appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
Segmentation fault

I'm guessing I'm missing something and perhaps I didn't understand
something in the documentation.   Can anyone suggest what I'm doing
wrong?

Art Smoot                       AES Consulting
1177 Wildwood Road              Boulder, CO 80305
303-499-3837                    address@hidden