Re: [Aspell-user] Can I get "edit distance" for the suggestions?

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Can I get "edit distance" for the suggestions?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:27:24 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Bradford" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 5:31 PM
Subject: [Aspell-user] Can I get "edit distance" for the
suggestions?

I'm mystified as to how the definition of
*AspellStringEnumeration* is
hidden from us, so I can't peek inside of that.  It seems obvious
from the
outside that edit distance (i.e. the # of changes necessary to
get from the
checked word to a proposed suggestion) is used to sort the
results presented
to the user.  I'd like to use outside information to sort the
results with
equal edit distance w.r.t. eachother.  So how do I get the edit
distance?

-- Ethan

p.s. the Arabic project is going well.  We can generate an Aspell
db that
has the full coverage of Buckwalter's data.  It over-generates a
little bit,
though, but we're well on the way to solving that, too.  It's
time to start
thinking about how to get the results available for general
distribution.
It will be a little bit tricky because we want to keep the
Buckwalter data
as primary, so that if you want to add a word or change an affix
rule, you
would edit those files and run our scripts again.

--- Reply ---
Hi Ethan,

Did you discover that AspellStringEnumeration is taking the place
of class StringEnumeration?
What they are trying to do is make users of the aspell library
independent of all the little header files and classes used to
make the library work. The c interface is not so type safe, so
you can get away with replacing a pointer to one type with a
pointer to another type. You could fork the project and replace
AspellStringEnumeration with StringEnumeration and include the
appropriate header files, I suppose. You could also modify the
lib/string_enumeration-c.cpp module to make it do what is needed
and submit the change as a patch to aspell, better idea IMHO.

Hope that helps,
Gary