Re: [Aspell-user] aspell 0.60.5 / dansk dictionary: returning lines star

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] aspell 0.60.5 / dansk dictionary: returning lines starting with question mark characte
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:38:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Daniel Sippel wrote:

Hello!

I have a problem concerning aspell 0.60.5 in combinition with dansk dictionary aspell-da-0.50.1-0.tar.bz2

Aspell gives two lines beginning with a "question mark" ? character as result. The programm which is trying to interpret the result fails with exception. I read the aspell developers documentation and got to know, that the result lines should start with *, & or #.

I'm sorry. The documentation is out of date. The behavior of "aspell -a" tried to match Ispell as close as possible and that the "?" comes from Ispell. From the Ispell documentation:

If there are no near misses at all, the line format is the same, except that the '&' is replaced by '?' (and the near-miss count is always zero). The suggested derivations following the near misses are in the form:

       [prefix+] root [-prefix] [-suffix] [+suffix]

(e.g., "re+fry-y+ies" to get "refries") where each optional pfx and sfx is a string. Also, each near miss or guess is capitalized the same as the input word unless such capitalization is illegal; in the latter case each near miss is capitalized correctly according to the dictionary. Finally, if the word does not appear in the dictionary, and there are no near misses, then the line contains a '#', a space, the misspelled word, a space, and the character offset from the beginning of the line. ...