[Aspell-user] Using Speller Pages w/ Aspell

From: John Cage
Subject: [Aspell-user] Using Speller Pages w/ Aspell
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 20:05:45 -0800 (PST)

Here's my situation but before that, Thank you very much to those who have replied so far.  Your replies are very much appreciated.

I'm working with a MS Windows system and have a form that I need a spell checker for.  This is an internal work site and not a commercial site.  I'd happened across 'Speller Pages' which is where I first experienced Aspell and it appears that Speller Pages was initially designed to work with Aspell version 0.50

I have Speller Pages working well with Aspell 0.50 in this form but I really would like to get to the raw dictionary file (ASCII text I had hoped but not the case) to remove inappropriate language (the naughty words contained in the dictionary i.e. the 'F' word, etc).  I have Aspell version 0.60 too but clearly it's a huge step up from 0.50 and it didn't easily lend itself to a replacement for version 0.50 for Speller Pages and the form.

As I look at 0.50, there are four folders (bin, dict, data, doc) and the file I 'suspect' is the 'words' file is in the 'dict' folder and titled 'en-only.rws' (rather large file at 4,045,824).

So can someone give me more info on 'de-compiling' to edit the dictionary words file and then re-compiling to a usable dictionary file?  Am assuming Dos command line commands for this task.

At any rate, there may be far better ways of doing or thinking of this situation and being a newbie to Speller Pages, form spell checking and such, I am all ears... :-)

Thank you kindly for any replies - and again, to those of you who have been kind enough to lend some advice thus far - a big thank you...

john