Re: [Aspell-user] Passing word to aspell via command line...

From: traverso
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Passing word to aspell via command line...
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 07:26:37 +0200 (CEST)

    Russell> Ideally, I would like to interact with aspell directly
    Russell> via the command line rather than through an external file
    Russell> or interactive pipe mode so that I can easily capture the
    Russell> output

    Russell> something like...

    Russell> aspell -w basball

    Russell> Or do I really have to create a 1-line file with that
    Russell> word in it and then run aspell -c file.txt to check that
    Russell> one word?

You can use 'aspell -a' e.g.

echo basball | aspell -a

address@hidden:~$ echo basball | aspell -a
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.7-20110707)
& basball 11 0: baseball, baseballs, basally, basal, barbell, baseball's,
Babel, Basel, Basil, babel, basil
address@hidden:~$ echo basball | aspell -a
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.7-20110707)
*
address@hidden:~$

Assuming of course that you want to handle the suggestions.

If you want just to check if a word is OK, you can use 'aspell list', e.g.

address@hidden:~$ echo basball | aspell list
basball
address@hidden:~$ echo baseball | aspell list
address@hidden:~$