auctex

Re: [AUCTeX] Feature request / question re: TeX-master

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Feature request / question re: TeX-master
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 23:38:56 +0100

Hi Mandar,

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 4:33 PM Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Suppose I'd like to use a single file to create beamer slides for classroom
> presentation, as well as more detailed notes for self-study. I'm using the
> workflow suggested in Section 21.2.2 of v 3.07 of the Beamer User Guide. To
> wit, the actual content is in content.tex, and included in slides.tex
> (documentclass beamer) and notes.tex (documentclass article).
>
> When I save changes to content.tex and recompile, I'd like both slides.pdf
> and notes.pdf to be regenerated. As far as I can tell, the current way to do
> this is to set TeX-master to 'shared and run C-c C-c once each for the two
> pdf files, or to use a makefile like setup.
>
> Would it make sense to let TeX-master be possibly a list? Would this be
> likely to create problems / pose difficulties?

It's interesting the idea of having a "content" file that is shared by
different main documents.  I think that it's technically possible to
do what you're suggesting, but it would require some work and care.
The main problem I can see is: what to do when you issue C-c C-v in
the "content.tex"?  Both documents are opened?  E.g., Okular opens one
document at the time, that wouldn't work with this viewer.

Bye,
Mosè