autoconf

Locating macros

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Locating macros
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:10:35 -0800

Terribly sorry for such a basic question, but how do I tell autoconf (m4?)
where to find the macros so that ./configure will find the macros?

My guess the error below is because of the odd location of the macros?

I think this is redhat 7.

$ m4 --version
GNU m4 1.4.1

$ autoconf --version
sed: can't read /usr/share/autoconf/acgeneral.m4: No such file or directory
Autoconf version

$ autoconf --macrodir=/disk2/usr/share/autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13

$ autoconf --macrodir=/disk2/usr/share/autoconf

$ ./configure
checking whether #! works in shell scripts... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

$ gcc --version
2.96
$ g++ --version