autoconf

Re: LIBOBJS and ANSI2KNR fix?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: LIBOBJS and ANSI2KNR fix?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:38:23 -0800 (PST)

> From: Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:31:43 -0500
>
> (I should have said 2.49 or later.)

Ah, sorry, then I overreacted.

> It would be no trouble for me to bump the requirement to 2.50; I would just
> prefer to know that 2.50 works and not really require 2.52 or later.

You're a bit stuck if you want to assign to LIBOBJS, I'm afraid.

> Requiring 2.53 is fine with me, but the Linux camps screamed the loudest
> about 2.13 not working even after 2.50 had been out for months.

My own experience is that people either want to stick with 2.13, or
they are willing to upgrade to the latest revision.  The 2.13-to-2.50
transition was a pain, as it introduced several incompatibilities; but
once you're beyond that, there's not too much trouble going with the
latest and greatest.

There may be other factors involved here.  If some of your developers
insist on Debian, for example, they may not want to use an autoconf
that is newer than what Debian currently packages up.  I haven't had
this problem, though.  More the contrary -- the developers I hang out
with want me to use test versions and the latest-in-CVS versions and
stuff like that....