autoconf

how to specify flags without having them in the command line call to ./c

From: aaragon
Subject: how to specify flags without having them in the command line call to ./configure?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:24:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

I was wondering what is the usual way to handle non-standard flags, without
hard-coding them in the configure.ac, nor the makefile.am files. However, I
also don't want to have them in the command line because they are just too
many. The code that I write uses some libraries that are not installed in
the usual system paths so when I configure my software I have to do it like

$> ./configure CXXFLAGS="-I~/Workspace/Lib/lib1/include
-I~/Workspace/Lib/lib2/include ..." LDFLAGS="-L... the same as with
CXXFLAGS, you get the picture"

Of course the line above won't do anything, but you get what I mean. Now
imagine that instead of 2 libraries, I have 10!!! It's really annoying to
have a very big command line with all those arguments. I've been hard-coding
these in the Makefile.am but I don't think that's the best approach. Can
anyone point me to the way it's done? Thank you all,

aa