autoconf

Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used

From: Bastien Chevreux
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 23:53:20 +0200

On 08 Sep 2014, at 23:38 , Marko Lindqvist <address@hidden> wrote:
> Maybe gcc regression test set has a bit lighter test added against
> the bug in question, added when it was fixed.

If only one knew exactly which one of the bugs or features they fixed it was.
There are dozens/hundreds, digging through all possible error reports and
trying to correlate a compiler regression test with the test set I have could
take days, weeks or maybe months, who knows.

And that’s the point: as a developer of a program who uses a compiler just as a
mean to get things done, I’m totally not interested in this … and I shouldn’t.
It’s enough for me to know that a given compiler is buggy between version X and
Y when a given flag is used to simply not use that flag there. Maybe also give
the user who used ./configure a warning that the program will run a bit slower
with the given compiler.

But that’s all there should be to it.

B.