autoconf

Re: how to let configure know include and library path for library foo?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: how to let configure know include and library path for library foo?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 09:15:56 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

Sure, I understand the problem you describe and it makes perfect sense
to me. But then, what would be an appropriate way to deal with it,
according to you? Shall one let users put their directories in CFLAGS
and LDFLAGS?

The ability for the user to usefully specify CFLAGS and LDFLAGS should be a requirement and is documented in the standard GNU INSTALL text.

Authors of configure scripts need to consider the ordering of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS while they implement the configure script such that the user still has the final say (e.g. put user-provided options first or last depending on how they are applied).

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt