autoconf

Re: Where are the original commands defined?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: Where are the original commands defined?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 10:54:34 -0500

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:48 AM Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> I got the following int config.log when I run
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/tree/configure
> configure also runs many other commands. How to figure out where the
> original commands are defined? Thanks.

It's very complicated, but you don't need to track down the original
commands to resolve this build failure.  The problem is with the
library you are trying to link in:

> /usr/bin/ld:
> /root/linux/bin/wrappercomposite/src/xplat/llvmxplat/src/mkvar/bin/Linux/libtrace.a(trace.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.bss' can not be used when making a
> PIE object; recompile with -fPIC

This error message means that you need to recompile libtrace.a with
-fPIC added to its CFLAGS.  Do that and you shouldn't need to mess
with bash's configure script.

Incidentally, you appear to be building things as root.  Don't do
that.  Complex packages' build scripts often assume that they do _not_
have write privileges over the entire filesystem, and may
catastrophically malfunction.  Only "make install" should ever be run
as root.

zw