automake

Re: armflang: error: unknown argument: '-soname'

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: armflang: error: unknown argument: '-soname'
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:28:34 -0600

    While libtool has a new maintainer (Alex Ameen), essentially nothing
    happens, which is quite unfortunate...

1) libtool 2.4.7 was released in March 2022 (I don't know if Alex did
it), which isn't so terribly long ago. Sure, maintainers should at least
confirm bug reports and patches, even if releases don't happen quickly
(pace my own efforts with automake), but ...

2) When a package appears to be unmaintained, the first thing to do is
simply write the maintainer to see what the story is. If there is no
response, the next step is to write maintainers@gnu.org. It's their
responsibility to make continued efforts to contact the maintainer, up
to and including sending paper mail. And look for a new maintainer if
need be.

3) If that also fails, the final fallback is to write
gnu-advisory@gnu.org and/or rms@gnu.org.

Best,
Karl