autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:48:54 -0400

On 04/14/2011 07:24 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Call to action! Blat!
>
> Indeed!  Less armchair philosophizing, more addressing direct issues,
> and way more importantly, building shit!  (And helping people getting
> involved and directing them to build shit.)  Or if not building shit,
> helping people actually deploy shit.

I left this list a while ago because the talk was interesting, but I
didn't see it as being very productive and I had a new baby and wasn't
reading the emails anymore anyhow.  It's interesting to get put back on
the list again and see a new flurry of emails.

> Speaking of which, announcement of some shit we're building on April
> 30th!  Some (maybe most) of you already know what that is I guess.

This is why I plan on giving this list a second chance and I'm hoping
the second coming results in more production and less hand-waving.  Not
that I think hand-waving is bad, but the proportion of people
hand-waving to people doing things reminded me of a blog post where the
author used Cadbury eggs to make an omelet: interesting, but the novelty
wore off for me.

> But I think a large amount of advocacy is still necessary, and
> autonomo.us is still the place for that.  Issues will come up, we should
> address them.  I'd still like to see more building though.

This page:

    http://autonomo.us/projects/

is, I would argue, the most important page on the site.  It's the list
of projects/services that "pass the test" that we can point to and say,
"This is where we're at."

Also, I contend, the page should have two lists of projects/services.
The first is a list of projects/services that are in production, past a
version 1.0, and are actually useful.  The second is a list of
up-and-coming projects/services.

Do these lists exist already in some form?

I've been nose-to-the-grindstone on desktop apps for a while and haven't
really been following autonomo.us stuff, so I haven't a clue what's out
there other than Status.net, Libre.fm, GNU Social and probably a dozen
other Facebook alternatives--one for every web scale language/framework.

/will