axiom-developer

[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Type: Type

From: Stephen Watt
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Type: Type
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:51:47 -0400

You are correct that there is a potential inconsistency.

We avoid Russel's paradox by limiting the operations for
constructing and testing membership in type categories.

Note that many programming languages have the problem of
allowing types with no elements, which can lead to the type
theory equivalent of a division by zero error.

Aldor is no exception in this regard:  It is possible to construct
a domain with no effective way to make elements.

These kinds of errors have to be seen as  bugs in programs, just as
division by zero is a programming error and not an invalidation of
integer arithmetic.

-- Stephen