axiom-developer

[Axiom-developer] Computational Mathematics Documentation

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Computational Mathematics Documentation
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:52:34 -0500 (EST)

One of the primary goals of Axiom is documentation.

Especially when developing algebra it is important to capture
WHY code looks like it does. There are many decisions made when
coding an algorithm that have little or nothing to do with the
underlying mathematics. Historically this information has not
been captured. It makes the system hard to maintain and modify.
Literate programming is being used to capture some of these
design decisions.

I've been pondering other techniques for capturing coding
decisions. I've recently run across this excellent blog:
http://www.codingmath.com/

I highly recommend watching the three kinematics videos.
These are potential models of capturing design decisions.

Now imagine how useful it would be to have Manuel Bronstein videos
showing his development and enhancement of the integration routines.

I have previously posted youtube videos, such as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV8y3UrpadY
but they did not show coding.

Sage has done some videos for programming, although they lack
the polish of the codingmath blog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YrZgdTcu4

If you want to contribute to Axiom, this is a potential path.

I've been working on updating the axiom online hyperdoc at
http://axiom/-developer.org/axiom-website/hyperdoc/rootpage.xhtml
The Axiom textbook is now online.

I plan to experiment with this video idea for developing code.
I will post the results when one is available.

Tim