axiom-legal

Re: [Axiom-legal] Fwd: [Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-

From: Bill Page
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:41:33 -0400

On 9/8/07, Frederic Lehobey <address@hidden> wrote:
> It [APL2] prevents integration of Aldor in free software distributions
> as Debian or Fedora. (The kind of things I am interested in.)

Debian distributes non-free software.

> Anyway, Aldor is by no standard open source or free software. I have
> personally been trapped in the past in such non-free licences. I will
> never consider again non-free sofware for scientific work. But it is
> my personal choice and I can understand you make others.

Could you give an example of how you think you might be "trapped" by
using Aldor under APL2?

> It makes me simply stronger in my mind that we (the Axiom community)
> had nothing good to expect from Aldor and from *waiting* for its
> release as (real) open source software (that has not yet occured).

Who was waiting? The various incarnations of Axiom have all made
improvements to Spad (to a greater or lesser degree).

Still Aldor is still by far very much superior to Spad and in my
opinion is very likely to remain so provided that it can attrack an
active developer community.

Regards,
Bill Page.