Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:55:19 -0500

Leslie Polzer wrote:
Hello Michael,

- add 'close' button on toolbar

Yeah, ideally (and according to the HIG), the toolbar is customizable. The HIG specifies that a Close button should not be on the toolbar by default (I don't know why, I kind of like it there -- but that's why we make it customizable). So, maybe instead you could add support for a dynamic toolbar (add code to grab the appropriate stuff in the config file, have it work from that, and just hand-edit your config file). I wouldn't worry about updating the prefs dialog yet, because of course we are about to change it.

- add HACKING file w/ accumulated descriptions of sources and important macros

Good idea.  I'll try and keep it up to date with any of my changes.

- make doxygen.conf for function list; doxify sources

Intriguing.  Sounds good, although I'm not very familiar with it.

Additional and extraordinary syntax hightlighting feature proposal:
Highlight by syntax and context, e.g. for variable types not intrinsic.
It has always been annoying to me that there is absolutely no editor
that hightlight custom data types in C (think GtkWidget).
I have made some studies with PerlRE on this subject and must conclude
that it is possible to achieve this with some nice regular expressions.
This feature should be optional, though.

Sounds cool.  It's a feature I've often missed.

Autotoolizing. I know Automake and Autoconf and could do this one
if you don't have any problems with it - GetText will be yours to do
in any case, though.

Sure.  I don't care who does it, but we definitely need to autotoolize.  :)

Glade & RAD. I would like to emphasize that Glade could provide a great
enhancement in the maintenance and development of complex dialogues
like the 'Preferences' one.

Yeah, I agree. I looked into Glade and played around with it. It was a bit much for me at once. I'll have to read some docs maybe or just play around with it.

-mt