Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:20:26 -0500

Leslie Polzer wrote:
"Don't add buttons for Help, Close or Quit to your toolbar by default,
as these are rarely used [...]"

I don't feel so. One of the first things I did was to search for a
close button to get rid of a file. I'd like to have a close button
because I don't think the HIG reason for leaving it out are
applicable to a text editor, esp. a programmer's text editor.

Yeah, I'm flexible on the default settings. But certainly, they should be configurable.

Additional and extraordinary syntax hightlighting feature proposal:
[...]

Sounds cool.  It's a feature I've often missed.

I think it's strange that no one has it yet, not even dedicated
syntax hightlighting programs.
I have already done some studies on this in Perl and were quite
successful (I can sent those along with a test file to you if you
wish). Only the HTML I use is making a mess with its quotes.
How is format stuff handled with GtkTextView? Please excuse
my questions on this, but I have never worked with those
widgets before...

You can create GtkTextTags that modify all sorts of behaviors - like modifying the font, colors, or what happens when you click on it. You apply these between any two GtkTextIters.

So, if you want a blue font, you might write

GtkTextTag *tag = gtk_text_buffer_create_tag (buffer, "my-nice-tag", "foreground", "blue");
gtk_text_buffer_apply_tag (buffer, tag, start_iter, end_iter);

You can also of course specify a GdkColor for tags (or maybe only a GdkColor -- but I think you can just type a string).

Tags stay around with a buffer and are deleted when it is. You can name tags or leave them anonymous (with NULL as a name).

How about your experience with regular expressions?

Not much, I'm afraid.

Want to learn?

Sure.  Got some pointers?

I am also going to update the web page.

Yeah, good idea.  Add your personal info and do whatever cleanup you like.

-mt