Re: [Beaver-devel] beaver small glitch...

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] beaver small glitch...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:19:53 +0100

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:39:46 -0500
Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> > i've just got latest cvs, it's amazing the work you two have done
> > in so few time. i'm having some problems with auto* stuff, probably
> > because i'm still using automake-1.6.3 and can't upgrade to 1.7,
I guess your Automake version should work fine, Riccardo.
Maybe I will write a configure.in for the older Autotools nevertheless.

> > configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in config \
> > ./config
>
> Yeah, I get the same problem.  Leslie, you might want to try and get it
> compiling smoothly on just a CVS pull into an empty directory.
I forgot to add the config/ directory to CVS.
Sorry about that, it is fixed now. A 'mkdir config' would have sufficed,
though ;)

> Also,
> including some of the generated files in CVS might not be a bad idea.
> You know, like the configure script and Makefiles or whatever.
No, it is considered bad practice to stuff that in the CVS repository
and I agree on that. Why? Having a 64k line and paying for every minute
this hurts a lot:

$ du -ch configure Makefile.in Makefile src/Makefile.in src/Makefile \
        libtool ltmain.sh config/config.* config/missing config/depcomp
400k    configure
19k     Makefile.in
19k     Makefile
17k     src/Makefile.in
16k     src/Makefile
146k    libtool
137k    ltmain.sh
40k     config/config.guess
30k     config/config.sub
11k     config/missing
12k     config/depcomp
847k    total

...and probably a lot more if gettext stuff would be included, too.
And even if CVS's smart merging would cut about 70% it would still
be enough to cost me a lot more on every update (assuming one
of the Autotools' sources has changed).

> > there is also a small glitch i noticed, probably you already know
> > about it, but anyway in case you didn't noticed it, i attach a
> > screenshot that displays it...
I do not have this problem, but it's looking different on my screen
- my borders are somewhat 3D. Maybe this (that is, you using GNOME
and/or a different GTK theme) could be the problem. I don't think
however that it is Beaver's fault - you should contact GTK list
on this issue.

Again, sorry for the CVS inconvenience.

Leslie