Re: [Beaver-devel] Gettext and stuff

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Gettext and stuff
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:57:52 -0500

Leslie Polzer wrote:
In my opinion we should stick to my proposal but also insert a choice
"auto-detect/guess".
Sylpheed, my mail client, a quite excellent program IMHO, does it just
that way. I've even found some code for it in a tool called asrecod (guess.c attached
to this mail). I haven't fully understood the code there but it seems to
look out for certain char patterns.
Sylpheed's code might be interesting, too.

Yeah, that guess.c code is neat. It seems to give weights to various characters it sees and whichever charset has the highest weighting at the end wins.

Your suggestion is fine. However, I got the feeling that a dialog would be displayed to the user if it wasn't UTF-8? I don't think we should bother -- if it is not UTF-8, just convert it. No need to tell them about it. The less intrusive this is, the better.

Maybe put these options under Edit->Encoding?

I didn't get too far into the problem, but I did notice that converting to my locale's charset didn't help the problem at all.

I used g_convert_with_iconv() with ISO-8859-1 as the source charset
and Beaver's TextView accepted it happily as valid UTF8.
Have a look at editor.c:~220, it's already there. Try it.

Cool.

-mt