[Beaver-devel] Syntax Highlighting

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Syntax Highlighting
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:26:59 +0100

The syntax highlighting needs a rewrite.
I suggest we use separate source files for every Lexer.

Advantage: fast, correct and flexible syntax highlighting
that considers the peculiarities of every language (think of PHP/HTML).
Clean and organized code. Powerful regular expressions compiled at
Beaver start-up.
Please see the attached Perl script to get an idea how this would
be accomplished. The HTML color tags are of course to be replaced
by GtkTextTags.

Disadvantage: good-bye Ultraedit-compatible wordfiles.

Synthesis: use information we can still store in the wordfiles
(like keywords) with the above Lexers, add additional features
the Lexer brings and throw away obsolete stuff in the wordfiles.

What do you (that is, the members of this list) think?

Leslie