Re: [Beaver-devel] patch solving the small glitch...

From: Riccardo Persichetti
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] patch solving the small glitch...
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:43:34 +0100

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:28:35 +0100
Leslie Polzer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why are you using Gnome, then?
> I have an AMD Duron and still don't use Gnome because it is too big
> and slow for my tastes. IceWM is very nice to work with.

i don't use it, well apart from some apps...
i set up a gnome environment for the rest of my family
so that they can give linux a try...
i'm using openbox + idesk + rox, i'm quite happy with
those apps, they give me a fast and nice desktop...

> What kind of plugins would that be?

here is a brief list of gedit plugins:
-ASCII table (self explanatory)
-Compare Files (diff tool)
-Document Statistics (wc, whitespaces, etc)
-User name (insert username at cursor position)
-Indent lines
-Insert Date/Time
-Spell checker
-Sort
-and a few others...

> I like the nice pictures next to the filename in gedit's tabs.
> Perhaps we can pack those in Beaver's tabs, too - but of course
> in a real useful way, perhaps showing the type of document or
> if known; or the Lexer used.

I think gedit uses gnome-vfs to determine file type, so this would
mean a lot of dependencies (which we are going to avoid) or
we could try to use the "file" utility (rox uses it along with the
new Shared MIME-info Database[1]) and search for icons in
/usr/share/icons (kde and newer gnome themes install on that dir)
but this doesn't seem to be so urgent...

[1]http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info/shared-mime-info-spec.html

cheers,

  riccardo

--