Re: [Beaver-devel] New sy/hi with pcre; a second preview

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] New sy/hi with pcre; a second preview
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:33:33 -0400

Disclaimer: I haven't really spent some time looking at the code. I will try to later. But here are some initial comments.

Leslie Polzer wrote:
NB: colors in syntax files are in range 0-255 instead of GdkColor 0-65535.

Any particular reason?

I'd especially appreciate feedback regarding the syntax file format and
the method I use to read the syntax files (fscanf()).

One suggestion I have is to use the glib-provided |g_file_get_contents|, which does nice error checking and gives you a big allocated buffer of the file. I would imagine that parsing a string buffer would be less error-prone that doing it all on the file as it comes in.

As for the file format, it is hard to read human-wise (mostly because of the lack of spaces and regexp syntax). I doubt it's very important. But, we should at least decide whether it is or not -- i.e. who our target audience is with respect to editing syntax files. If it's just us, it can be as obtuse as we want. :)

I vote that we only worry about us editing these -- I can't imagine a whole community developing around our syntax files.

-mt