Re: [Beaver-devel] New sy/hi with pcre; a second preview

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] New sy/hi with pcre; a second preview
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 01:17:38 -0400

Leslie Polzer wrote:
It might be wise to change it. I imagine it would be nice to allow users to change the colors.

They could do that with 0-255 too :)

Yeah, I know. I stopped mid-thought, interrupted by my category thought. :) I was going to say that since we will get a larger range integer from the GUI configuration widget, we might as well use it.

I propose we come up with categories of keywords that we label lines with in the syntax file and in the GUI, we can say, "What color do you want operators to be?"

I tried to put a comment in front of each file but fscanf() (or maybe rather
my programming self) had problems with it so I postponed it.
XML might be nice in general.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. What do comments/XML have to do with abstracting from specific colors in a syntax file to categories of keywords?

So...  a quick stab at categories:
operators
preprocessor directives
language keywords
system library keywords
"derived" keywords -- things like GtkWidget
comments
strings
characters

What else?

What do you mean by characters?

I meant character strings. i.e. the stuff inbetween single quotes in a C program. Usually the same color as a string constant.

-mt