Re: [Beaver-devel] GtkSourceView is live

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] GtkSourceView is live
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:56:51 -0400

Leslie Polzer wrote:
I think once the search functionality is finished (it almost is -- but I've abandoned replace for the moment), I think we're good for 0.3.1 (or maybe even 0.4.0 -- :)).

I'd like to separate the search behavior into a "quick" (the standard search
found in most browsers and editors) search and an "advanced" search (what we
have now, and with multiple file support). Often the advaned thing is very
annoying when I just want to move around in a file quickly.

What I've done so far is split it into two searches. One is a Search window that just lets you search in the current/all-open documents with several toggles. It is reasonably simple. The other is a "Search in Files" window that lets you search, surprisingly in files. The normal Search windows does not yet work as expected -- that is, it opens the search pane with the list of results, instead of taking you directly to the first one, like other editors. That is to be fixed.

I'd be willing to put out another 'marked unstable' release with it almost like it is and flesh out search for a later release. 0.3.0 is looking increasingly old-fashioned.

It is a pity that the intelligent variable highlighting seems lost now.
Well, maybe we can still integrate it with GtkSourceView or post-process
the GSV-highlighted text.

Yeah. The way I figure, a GtkSourceView-like widget for source code is the right way to do things. If some functionality belongs there, we can submit patches. However, some things will lie with us. This probably is our job, since it involves looking at other files and all. I don't see why we can't post-process.

-mt