Re: [Beaver-devel] Translations

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Translations
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:44:46 +0200

On Thu, 22 May 2003 15:18:59 -0400
Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> adjustable tab size
You wrote something about HIG and tab width - can you explain further?

> undoredo support
I don't know if it has catched your sight but some weeks ago I found
a segfault where undo/redo after 'Save As' failed. I fixed it with
an assert because there was a null pointer access; the segfaults were gone,
but undo/redo wasn't possible after 'Save As' either.
I'm glad I do not have to dive into this further, this action stuff seemed
very complicated to me (can't say whether it was hackish or not).

> and line numbers.
Now I'm quite eager to see how they've done that!

> Most of these features are controllable through a
> gtk_source_view_set_show_margin(sourceview, TRUE) function or something
> similar.  To the user, most of it is controlled through the View menu.
>
> GtkSourceView uses ".lang" files to store information about languages
> (kept in, I think, /usr/share/gtksourceview).  There is an API to access
> information about the languages, like their name and such -- this is how
> we build the Language menu.
>
> One interesting change is that we no longer use Wordfiles because
> GtkSourceView handles syhi through its .lang files.  This isn't too big
> a deal, but some information was in those wordfiles that is not in the
> .lang files.  Mainly, some information about the language like what a
> regex for what functions looked like.  I hope to get such information
> into GtkSourceView proper, so that we can read that from the languages
> it keeps.
Yes, if we have to possibility to stuff regexes into it (Vim has a similar
approach w/ a wordlist for fast highlighting and regexes for things that cannot
be done by simple word matching) we haven't lost much of my previous work on
highlighting.

> So, the classes that you might want to be aware of are GtkSourceView,
> GtkSourceBuffer, and GtkSourceLanguage.  There is no API documentation
> to my knowledge, so just look at the headers/code.
Sure, shouldn't be a problem.

Leslie