Re: [Beaver-devel] Charset detection

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Charset detection
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 03:41:01 +0200

On Wed, 28 May 2003 16:46:33 -0400
Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Leslie Polzer wrote:
> > 1) if someone has libxml2 there's quite a chance he has a modern GNU file,
> > too
> > 2) it's better than nothing
> > 3) we can just take their code and incorporate it in Beaver
>
> Eh, I'd like to avoid 3 if I could.
It is true that an external reference to the command would be desirable.

> As for 1, that's not entirely true, is it?  I mean, not everyone will
> have GNU stuff -- what about Sun hardware?  Do they use GNU?
Um... why not? GNU's not i386-only and I guess GNU libc for example can
be found on many modern systems.

> Though, I would love to bump our requirement to modern stuff.  The
> formal UNIX spec is pretty restricting, and we could make our search
> code a good deal sexier if we are allowed to use modern arguments to grep.
What about configure checks? Let everyone have what he deserves.

> It doesn't really bother me to up our requirements.  But, I thought glib
> had some good support for charset detection.  No go?
That's not what I'm saying - I just came across this 'file' stuff and
wanted to mention it here. As for glib, I haven't seen any _detection_
routines, just conversions.

Leslie
--
Current Main System: LFS Linux dreadnought 2.4.20 #18 Thu May 15 19:11:10 CEST
2003 i686