Re: [Beaver-devel] Syhi User Interface

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Syhi User Interface
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:44:51 +0200

On Sat, 31 May 2003 09:49:20 -0400
Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Leslie Polzer wrote:
> > Extension(s) | Highlighter | Compile Command
> > C,cpp,cxx    | "C++"       | g++ -fsyntax-only %s
> > ...          | ...         | ...
>
> We wouldn't show the extensions here.  GtkSourceView has an idea of the
> extensions if we really want them.  I don't know how to get them, but I
> think there is some interface.  :)  Plus, beaver already has an
> interface for (automatically at first) choosing what language we are using.
I didn't know GtkSourceView already has those extensions. But what if
some user wanted to add some obscure extension?

> But yeah, I agree with the basic idea.  The only problem I see is what
> if users want to do several commands (but not necessarily at the same
> time).  I guess we can add a general command button feature later if we
> need.
I'd call it bells and whistles - if we have a thing like the above the rest
would not be hard to add.

> > 2)
> > Have you seen Vim's language menu? A tree structure might be helpful
> > sometimes. Think of
> We could either hard code in our heirarchy, or we could try and talk to
> the gtksourceview guys to make some more explicit Type values like
> Assembly, Interpreted, or whatever.  Also, to support your even further
> idea of sublanguages, we could provide patches to support .lang file
> inheritance.  So, there could be a base i386 lang file with anything
> that is common across all assembly languages (probably everything but
> keywords), and then the assembly_intel.lang file can say what is special
> about intel.
I like the inheritance idea!

> > 3)
> > Does GtkSourceView already support nested languages? If not so, have you
> > any idea on how to accomplish this?
> [Your reply for 2)]
You have 3) mixed up with 2)  - but I must admit at the moment I was reading
my own text in your replay I got confused at first, too :).
What I, by saying "nested languages", intended to say with 3) was: "what about
stuff like php in html, css in html" and the like.

Leslie

--
Current Main System: LFS Linux dreadnought 2.4.20 #18 Thu May 15 19:11:10 CEST
2003 i686