Re: [Beaver-devel] MIME type detection library

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] MIME type detection library
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:42:34 -0400

Leslie Polzer wrote:
Hello Michael,

in tools.c:997 you write:

"What would be super-cool is a library that determined mime types [...],
but not tied to a specific platform."

Want to start a project like this?
I guess it'd be quite interesting.

It would be interesting.

I've been lurking on the xdg (freedesktop.org) mailing lists for a while, and one of the major contributors to the current mime type spec is Thomas Leonard, writer of ROX-Filer. It is DE-agnostic, and thus has its own internal library for mime types according to spec. That would be a good place to start, if one were interested in not starting from scratch.

But, I'm not particularly interested in getting too involved in such an endeavor. I just don't have the time. But, if you were to go forward with it, I could help a bit.

-mt