[Beaver-devel] Strip comments on "make dist"

From: Leslie Polzer
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Strip comments on "make dist"
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:09:52 +0200

Hello Michael,

I know this is a quite unusual idea, but who said that those were bad.
I guess if we might strip all stream comments on "make dist" users could
save a lot of space and download time.
I mean, serious developing will take place on CVS anyway, and the
end-user usually doesn't have to peek into the sources anyway.
And there *are* still countries on this world where bandwidth and/or
download time is expensive.

Things for discussion (if you're not totally against it) would be then:
- exclude file headers (GPL, general info)?
- do it only on stable branch?
- offer different tarballs?

Oh, and the technical side shouldn't be any problem; automake needs Perl
anyway and should support a seamless integration into the 'dist' target.
The maintainer's sources aren't affected, too, because the dist target
operates on a copy.

Best regards,

Leslie

--
Current Main System: LFS Linux dreadnought 2.4.20 #18 Thu May 15 19:11:10 CEST
2003 i686