Re: [Beaver-devel] Strip comments on "make dist"

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Strip comments on "make dist"
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:15:10 -0400

Leslie Polzer wrote:
Hello Michael,

I know this is a quite unusual idea, but who said that those were bad.
I guess if we might strip all stream comments on "make dist" users could
save a lot of space and download time.
I mean, serious developing will take place on CVS anyway, and the
end-user usually doesn't have to peek into the sources anyway.
And there *are* still countries on this world where bandwidth and/or
download time is expensive.

Things for discussion (if you're not totally against it) would be then:
- exclude file headers (GPL, general info)?
- do it only on stable branch?
- offer different tarballs?

Well, I would be averse to stripping the GPL stuff. That needs to be in, on legal grounds, eh?

As for the rest, I'm skeptical of how much space you'd save (seeing as it's text and compressed). I'd be interested in seeing the results.

But... Even as a user (albeit a user that programs), I often will open up a tarball and browse the source if I'm interested in how something got done or whatever. It is thus handy if the comments are there.

I'd feel better if we at least offered a tarball that had the comments.

-mt