Re: [Beaver-devel] Problem Starting Beaver

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Problem Starting Beaver
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:31:18 -0500

Stephen Depooter wrote:
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 00:00, ck lester wrote:

Just downloaded Beaver lookin' for a good programmer's editor. I noticed it was compatible with UltraEdit config files, so, since I use UE32 when on Win2K, I thought I'd give it a shot! :)

OS: FreeBSD 5.1
System: GTK2.x, xfce, Beaver
Bug: When I type "beaver" in any command interface, I get the "beaver: not found" error.

Wherefore? Should I use a different command?

The correct command  is indeed beaver.

Check whether you installed it properly.  Depending on where you
installed it, it might not be in your $PATH.  By default, when you build
it from source, it will install into /usr/local/bin but you need to be
root to install there.  If you can't install there, try running the
binary from where you compiled it.

However, Beaver with GTK+ 2 is not compatible with UltraEdit config files. For that, you want the old stable branch. We started using GtkSourceView for our syntax highlighting instead of our UltraEdit support.

-mt