[Beaver-devel] Beaver in Puppy Linux

From: Barry Kauler
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Beaver in Puppy Linux
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 04:22:48 -0800

Hi, I'm the developer of Puppy Linux, a tiny 50M live-CD distro.
Puppy uses Beaver version 0.2.7.

The 0.3 series is not suitable for Puppy. Other small distros, such
as Damn Small Linux also use v0.2.7.
Actually, Puppy does have GTK2, but there are other dependencies of
v0.3.x, and besides, v0.2.7 is very small and I like it best.

I would like to recommend that you keep v0.2.x going.
It does have one major bug, which was why I considered dropping it,
and DSL did drop it for awhile.
If a text file is opened that has any character with value greater than
127 decimal, Beaver displays a blank window.
Someone did look into this on the Puppy Discussion Forum and narrowed
it down to the code that checks the file size, which returns an incorrect
size of zero.

To get around this problem, I have included Leafpad in Puppy, a very tiny
GTK2 text editor, that displays such files ok. Not the best solution, but
if Beaver doesn't work, users can swap over to Leafpad.

If you are interested in tackling this bug, you might like to go to the
Puppy Forum, and do a search on "Beaver".

Puppy home:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy

Regards,
Barry Kauler